Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Lies

While hosting the Chinese students, I noticed one of their hygiene products on the bathroom counter. The brand name was called "Simple Life" and the product was "Whitening Body Wash." One of the things I previously new about Asian culture is that they believe that being white is beautiful and you have more chance of success the whiter you are. Some will bleach their skin in order to obtain this supposed beauty. And apparently, they will sell you body wash that is supposed to whiten your body and create a simple life for you. Sad. Very sad.

This got me thinking about the things that our culture lies to us about. A product that I recently bought came to mind that is clinically proven to reduce cellulite. Now, I will not disclose whether I have cellulite or not, but I will tell you that this product did not work. And how many products are proven to make you look more youthful, reverse the effects of aging, etc, etc.

Another lie that really makes me mad is the whole "Someday my prince will come" mantra. I tell you, this does not exist. Perfectly wonderful men are rejected because they are not perfect and are unable to rescue you from your situation. There is no such thing as a perfect man. And I will assure you that once you are married, there is no happily ever after. This does not exist. So many people divorce because they believe this lie that once you get married, it solves all of your problems and you are supposed to live happily ever after. Marriage is hard work. Somedays are harder than others, but you have to work on it every day of your lives. You have to be willing to forgive each other your shortcomings, protect each other, and pray for one another. And above all else, love one another, no matter what. It's easier said than done... some days.

Another lie that I am personally affected by is that only thin people are beautiful. I feel very vulnerable even writing this, let alone knowing people will read this, but here we go. One of the lies that have bought into regarding myself and myself alone is that I am not pretty because I am fat. I was told growing up that no one would ever love me if I was fat. I was told that I would be so pretty if only I would lose weight. I think part of me set out to prove this wrong, as I gained a lot of weight in college, fell in love and was/is loved back from Paul and we got married, to work very hard on our marriage (as opposed to lived happily ever after, hehe).

I recently read in a book about thyroid disorders (I have hypothyroidism), that you need to stop putting your life on hold until you lose your weight. This is exactly what I do. I say to myself that once I lose this weight, then I will buy nicer clothes, go on vacations, develop deeper relationships with friends. I have bought into the lie that people don't like me solely based on my weight. Any time I feel any sort of rejection (real or imagined), I blame my weight. Literally. Every single time. I pull away from people and don't do things because I am so ashamed of the way that I look. Any time someone makes a fat joke or mentions some one else's weight, I wonder if they are indirectly talking about me. I put way too much emphasis on my weight.

I know that these are Satan's lies telling me that I am unlovable or unlikeable because of the way that I look. It's hard to get him out of my ear, though. I know that it is Satan's lies in the media about image and what is pretty or that your marriage isn't working because you aren't living happily ever after. I need to believe more of what God says about me- that He loves me. I need to meditate on His truths, especially when my mind is being attacked!

2 comments:

  1. I kind of understand what you're saying but Satan uses not my weight as much as my size to get to me. I've been told I'm built like a man and have been called "Sir" more times than I can count. Even though our brains know that our true value is how Christ sees us, our feelings are so easily bruised over and over again by what mere people say. I will agonize over a look I perceived from someone for days and I know with my head that's crazy, but my feelings take charge repeatedly. It's crazy! BTW - you're one of my favorite people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a book called Lies Women Believe, about those things that Satan lies to us about. It is a Christian book, and I have heard very good things about it. I didn't know if you'd heard of it, but thought I'd mention it. It's no easy read from what I've heard, but like you've pointed out, some things are worth the work!

    ReplyDelete