Sunday, July 17, 2011

Chinese Exchange Students

About a week ago, I got an email from one of my KMOM (Keystone Mothers of Multiples) members asking for help to host some Chinese exchange students for a week. I agreed with excitement, and then immediately became ridiculously nervous. It mounted as I feared what to feed them. Once I got the menu squared away, I then relaxed, only to become nervous about how to entertain them. It's easy when they boys are awake- they are the center of attention and can entertain anyone. But what do I do once the boys go to bed. I tried to relax and not think about it, because I can become ridiculous.

I immediately relaxed once we walked into the church to meet them. The whole auditorium was enthralled with the boys- touching them, clapping and laughing at them. I realized they weren't as scary as I was making them out to be. They are all 12-14 in age, and seemed very sweet. My name was called and I was assigned three sweet girls- Eve, Annie, and Sanny (their American names).

Once we got in the car, I tried to initiate some small talk, and I think I scared the poor girl who was riding in the front because she turned around to one of the girls in the backseat. So, I changed the question to "Do you like music?" I got a positive response, so we listened to the radio.

When we got to the house, I showed them to their room, and was a little afraid they weren't going to come out for dinner, but they did. They gave us presents, and I was so grateful that the leader gave us stuff for them, so I presented them with a Chinese Bible, and they went back upstairs, I guess to put the Bible away. When they came back down, they sat silently with their heads bowed over their food as they ate, not looking up, not talking. I guess this is customary? But I felt like I was forcing them to eat something disgusting, when it was just a bland soup. They looked to each other to see what they should do with their napkins, and followed my lead.

Then we all played with the boys, read books, chitchatted, and when it was the boys' bedtime, I started to take them upstairs, saying I was going to put the boys to bed. They followed and went into their bedroom. I came out of putting the boys to bed and had no idea what to do. So I brought them towels, showed them where the phone was so they could call their parents with their calling cards, and told them they could come back downstairs if they wanted to. They are still upstairs, so I am sure they are still calling their parents, and getting ready for bed. I'm sure they are tired, with all of their traveling. I just hope they know they don't have to stay up there.

I'm a little at a loss as to what to do. They are super sweet, and I really like them. Their English is pretty good. They were able to read the boys their books, so I think they are more comfortable reading than at conversational English. It's interesting the difference between the cultures already!

1 comment:

  1. I think you're very brave. I'm not very good around strangers, let alone foreign ones. I hope you have a terrific time and break through barriers with them. Keep up with the blogs, please!

    ReplyDelete