Saturday, February 27, 2010

Good baby?

I often get asked if my babies are good babies. This is a very confusing question for me... how does one determine what makes a good baby or a bad baby. I always answer yes, and always think that there is no other answer to give.

Yes, my babies cry a lot. More than I thought humanly possible. But does that make them bad babies? Crying is the only way babies have to communicate. My babies have a lot to say, and have very strong opinions about whatever it is they are communicating. But they are babies. They can't say, "I'm feeling lonely right now. Will you hold me?" or "I would rather be walked around so that I can see everything. Rocking is nice, but it isn't really what I want right now." or "I really want to go to sleep, but I am afraid that I will miss precious moments with you, Mommy." No, they cry. Scream, even, especially if you've guessed wrong. But that doesn't make them bad.

At times I get frustrated, but I have to remind myself that they have no other way to communicate with me. They are absolutely precious, and I love my sweet babies. They are good babies. But I don't believe that there are any bad babies.

I don't think people really understand what they are asking- they don't ask the question in reverse. But it still upsets me a little, that someone would imply that my babies are not good babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment