Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Thrush

I have never had a yeast infection until I had my babies. Ever! In 28 years! I thought I was homefree. And then, I had the boys. I had strep when I had the boys, so I took meds for that and got a yeast infection. It was treated, and no big deal.

Two weeks later, I had to have an emergency D&C due to part of the placenta still in my uterus, and to prevent infection, I was given another round of antibiotics. Ok, whatever. However, I developed a yeast infection. Only, it wasn't like the last one. It developed in my nipples, which made breastfeeding horrible. I seriously considered going to formula, and if you know me at all, you know that I am a big breastfeeding fan (but not the judge you if you use formula kind). I just always knew I wanted to breastfeed my children, and even bought books on how to breastfeed twins. I was (and am) bound and determined. So when I was ready to give up, I knew something was wrong. I was crying every time they sucked and was cursing under my breath at how horribly painful it was. I called the doctor, and they said I had a yeast infection. Ugh. So, I went on meds, and I called the pediatrician to get the boys on meds so that we would all be treated and get rid of it.

I thought everything had gone well, but apparently, something was looming and I just didn't realize it. At my 6 week check up, we noticed that Andrew's tongue was white. The doc looked and said he had thrush. So we treated him immediately, but apparently, it was too late for me, because I got yet another yeast infection. I was treated, and we continued treating Andrew. I thought we had finally nixed it, so we discontinued the meds.

And you guessed it: the saga is not over. Apparently, Andrew's thrush crept back up, he gave it to me, and I gave it to Matthew. So we are all suffering over here. I got meds for me and both boys, and I am utterly frustrated. It looks like Matthew's is over, mine is gone, but Andrew is still struggling with this stupid thrush.

I am so frustrated. It is ridiculous! I have had 4 yeast infections in 3 months. I don't know what to do. I am religious about giving him his meds. I have everything written down. And he still has it. I wash EVERYTHING, all of the time. I boil binkies and bottle nipples after every use. I wash my hands constantly. I eat yogurt every day.

What should I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment