Sunday, January 2, 2011

Unexpected Blessings

I often lament to Paul or to my sister that no matter what I do, I cannot seem to get ahead. Occasionally we will come into unexpected money and I become very excited thinking about what to do with this treasure- usually my thoughts lead to paying down a high bill or putting it into savings. Lately, though, it seems like whenever Paul gets a bonus at work, or we get money unexpectedly, or unexpectedly like at Christmas, something will happen and we have to use that money to fix our van or patch the roof, or pay for some medical bill that I wasn't expecting. It frustrates me because I had other plans for the money and am annoyed that I have to spend money on unexpected things.

Today in church, however, I was given a paradigm shift. For those who don't know, a paradigm shift is when you suddenly see a situation from a different perspective and it changes everything. The sermon today was on worry, and if you have been following along, you know I needed that sermon! The passage the pastor was preaching from was Matthew 6:25-34 where it talks about God promising to take care of you, not to worry, etc. The pastor gave an example in his own life where God provided funds to pay an unknown bill.

That is when it hit me. That is what is happening in my own life. I should not be frustrated that I can't get ahead when I have to use unexpected money to pay unexpected bills. I should be praising God for giving me the funds necessary to pay these bills. Because He knew I was going to need that money for a specific purpose. He is taking care of me. I don't need to worry. Of course, I still need to be wise with my money, and we still need to work to earn a living, but I don't need to worry about every little thing. God has taken care of the details. I need to rejoice when these unexpected blessings occur!

No comments:

Post a Comment